<$BlogRSDUrl$>

12/16/2004

 

Lott, Rummy, the Elections, and a new verb


Senator Trent Lott (R-Mississippi) gave a speech to the Biloxi Chamber of Commerce Wednesday morning, and the big story is:
"I'm not a fan of Secretary Rumsfeld," Lott, R-Mississippi, told the Biloxi Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday morning. "I don't think he listens enough to his uniformed officers." …

"I would like to see a change in that slot [Sec Def] in the next year or so," Lott said. "I'm not calling for his resignation, but I think we do need a change at some point."
The Senator wants a plan to leave Iraq at some point after the elections, and he does not believe Lott's the man to implement such a plan.

I'd have to see the text of his remarks, but from the little bits we're getting from the MSM, they do not sound as if they were the result of much careful thought. Yes, Senators are entitled to their gut feelings and instincts, but they have to be careful their hunches aren't cloudy by the static of non-factually based "common knowledge."

My own gut agrees with Lott, though, to an extent. I don't think we yet need an exit strategy as such; rather, that should be contemplated once we see the behavior of the anti-capitalist insurgency after the elections. They will not stop "insurging" merely because there is an elected government in place. They're attacking the U.S. by proxy, not per se Iraq.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?