<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11/18/2004

 

A Different Take on Owens-Sheridan


ABC's promo for their Desperate Houswives program, aired during Monday Night Football, showed actress Nicolette Sheridan attempting to seduce wide receiver Terrell Owens by dropping a towel encasing her body. In order to adequately explain Indianapolis Colts Coach Tony Dungy's reaction, we have to note that Owens is black and Sheridan is white. Dungy is black, as well.
"No. 1, I think it was racial," Dungy said. "I think it's stereotypical in looking at the players, and on the heels of the Kobe Bryant incident, I think it's very insensitive," he added, a reference to the NBA star now facing a civil suit after criminal rape charges were dropped.
Of course, Bryant is black and his accuser is white.

I am not qualified to comment from Dungy's perspective as a black man, but I can look at it from a distance. It seems to me possible that ABC did use race in that spot, although it could have been in an effort to prove themselves colorblind. (I do not think highly of that network.) However, we must also remember that Owens has one of the hottest personalities in the NFL today. He has an image that just begs to leave him with one name.

I hope this turns out to be a case of no intended offense, none taken. There still is a lot for which to answer.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?