<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11/11/2004

 

AFTER-WORD – Thursday, November 11, 2004


  • The Weekly Standard runs a piece telling us that "Dewey defeats Truman! Again!!!" This time, Thomas Dewey was JF Kerry and George W. Bush was Harry Truman.

    The parallels between 1948 and 2004 are interesting.

    [Hat tip, Steve at History Wire via Taegan Goddard]



  • Canadian words in American mouths. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, at cbc.ca, has a headline: U.S. Promises Control of Fallujah by Saturday.

    We did no such thing.

    The article begins:
    "U.S. forces in Iraq say they hope to be in control of all of the Fallujah by Saturday, in spite of fierce fighting in which as many as 600 insurgents, 18 U.S. troops and five Iraqi soldiers have been killed."
    We're winning, and I hope we run the city by Saturday.



  • This year, I've made it a quest to read the Christian Bible from cover-to-cover. I've read the entire Old Testament, which is a splendid history of the Jewish peoples. I'm now a self-styled expert on that – not really – and I've moved to the purely Christian part, the New Testament. This morning, I was to begin Paul's letter to the Romans.

    I spilled a Styrofoam cup of coffee onto my new HP (somewhat generic) keyboard, and that wouldn't function. I had my backup, another HP, but I used this accident as an excuse to purchase a Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard. It has lots o' buttons for me to program. And the feel is splendid.



  • For music, I'm listening to radio station KUSC out of Los Angeles. They're streaming at 96kbps, and the sound is good. They're playing a Rondo by Johann Nepomuk Hummel, and underrated and very enjoyable composer who wrote at about the time of Mozart.

    It is good music -- not a terrible distraction -- for considering terror, or more precisely, the absence thereof. To wit: soon, I can see the terrorists splintering into their own little factions, disunited. It's happening to an extent now, and it might be pushed along with the death of Osama bin Laden when that happens. They'll pack up and go home, and if they have a free home to which to go, or Iraq provides them with a hopeful example, the terror might just wither on the vine.


    2 comments
  • 2 Comments:

    Do you have a Strong's concordance to use while reading the Bible cover to cover? Very invaluable study tool.

    By Blogger Jon, at November 12, 2004 at 5:33 AM  

    Jon... My wife and I purchased something called the eBible (software), which has 7 translations of the Bible and 9 commentaries. It uses a concordance called "The New Nave's Topical Bible."

    Now, a commentary is a great thing to have for a complete reading of the Bible or of individual books. It was especially good with the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures), in that it explained everything. It added something to Moses, Israel, Jacob, Joseph, and those patriarchs.

    By Blogger Mark Kilmer, at November 12, 2004 at 10:21 PM  

    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?