<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11/30/2004

 

AFTER-WORD


  • According to the BBC, the Ukrainian parliament Tuesday voted to change its mind. On Saturday, they passed a non-binding resolution declaring their recent election, in which Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych was declared the winner, invalid. On Tuesday, the same parliament adopted a resolution annulling that resolution.

    Opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko claims victory, and his supporters are getting out-of-line. EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana arrived in Kiev vowing to fix everything.

    Maybe Jacques Chirac needs to pull the poet Dominique DeVillepin from the Interior Ministry and put him back at Foreign Affairs. He could write them a nice sonnet and perhaps surrender.



  • I'll avoid the attitude in the future. Right?



  • Someone e-mailed me a while back asking if I'd link to their "dictators" site. I attempted to respond, and my program behaved as if it went through, but I've since learned that there was a problem with e-mail on this end. I want to make clear that I did not ignore you. (I do not ignore anyone.) If you're still interested, please drop me another line.



  • That being said, I have exchanged links with a site called Global Politician, "a journal of politics, history, economics and international affairs." It's a worthwhile site, and you can find the link in the Links section at right.



  • I am listening to The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, by 20th century composer Benjamin Britten. He throws a lot of sounds deftly into this piece.

    Evidently, a lot of people stream the signal from Beethoven Radio whilst at work. This is a fine thing, I suppose, as they play good if standards stuff and go by: "Classical music without the attitude."

    The attitude is part of what makes it happen.

    But Beethoven Radio is getting ready to discard its Windows Media streams and move to a 96kbps Real Audio stream. To hear them, you have to purchase Real's Radio Pass, which is $5.95 a month.

    They're not worth it. There are plenty of 1st rate free streams out there, such as KFDC out of San Francisco, WBAA out of Purdue University, KBYU out of Brigham Young, KUSC out of Southern Cal., WETA out of Arlington, and Classical 103.5 out of DC. Google, and they're yours. The one drawback is that all of them but the one out of DC use NPR news, but you'll get used to it. It is not a complete a front to your rationale for being.

    0 comments
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?