<$BlogRSDUrl$>

10/03/2004

 

AFTER-WORD


  • The Iraqi city of Samarra again belongs to the Iraqis, having been liberated from foreign terrorists by American and Iraqi forces. Most news stories complain about this, though, and the most objective account I could find is from the New York Times.

    It is said that Fallujah is next and will be much more difficult. As I reported several weeks ago, the militants are said to have a plan to force the United States to flatten the city to achieve victory, thus postponing or affecting the Iraqi elections and ensuring the defeat, they hope, of President Bush.



  • The New York Times today tacitly declared that the President based its case against Saddam Hussein on a bunch of aluminum tubes. The Administrations says that the aluminum tubes were part of a "pattern" of evidence, meaning that in the context of the rest of the evidence, the Director of Central Intelligence came to the conclusion, and reported it to the President, that the tubes were for a nuclear centrifuge, not for banned rockets.

    Some people in the intelligence community disagreed, and the Administration is being faulted for taking the consensus word of the community rather than that of a few dissenters. Even if the dissenters seem to have turned out to be correct. Hindsight.

    To be honest, I don't understand how this could even look bad. My thoughts on the aluminum tubing was that if it were dual-use and both uses were nasty, it didn't matter how they were using it. I know next to nothing about the composite parts of a uranium centrifuge, and I doubt most Americans know much more than do I. The war was not sold to Congress and to the American people because of a few aluminum tubes.

    The paper has come unglued.



  • The Yanks closed out the season with a 3-2 win over the Blue Jays in Toronto. The Jays can go home and get some rest, while the Yankees take on Rafael Santana and the Minnesota Twins Tuesday night in New York.


  • I'm listening to music from Sergei Prokofiev's ballet Romeo and Juliet. I've never seen the ballet itself, and I have no plans to do so.

    My wife does not mind me listening to music from the ballet, but she did look askance at me when I walked into the local FYE and asked if they had a Nancy Sinatra CD. It's a long story.

    0 comments
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?