<$BlogRSDUrl$>

7/29/2004

 

This Madness


I found myself doing something which was at once both trying and sickening. It finally got to me when an actress of whom I had never heard, Alfre Woodard, began introducing people in the hall, etc.

First, she cut to a kindergarten teacher flanked by a group of non-descript people. She read whatever she spoke, and I could swear she sounded like an average 7th grader.

Next, a group of people of men with weathered faces appeared on stage. A woman, older but not looking ready to be retired, spoke for them. Enthusiastically, but from a script. "I’m from Kentucky! I am a farmer! I am voting for John Kerry! He will fight to keep our family farms in business! He understands!" How do you know this, ma'am? Because he says he does. President Bush owns and runs a ranch. He's not a multi-billionaire from Boston, Brussels, Paris, and Bonn. Someone understands the problems you face, ma'am. It's not Kerry.

Then they cut to a camera from one of the many locations around the country at which they have gatherings. It got to me. It struck me. This is madness.

I'm not going to tune in to a late night "program" trying to sell be a gallon of Miracle cleaner that gets substances out of all and sundry, and I get a free pair of nylons if I order now. I'm not going to watch Kerry's infomercial, either.

The convention itself, this one, seems to be primarily for the believers, for converting the ABB crowd into Kerry supporters. It will probably work on most of the delegates for a while after leaving the event. That much non-stop energy and enthusiasm transports a psyche into another realm of existence, so to speak.

But when they arrive home, when the noise subsides, some of it will wear off. More if Kerry says or does something foolish in the coming months.

I'll tune in for JF, but I've had enough of this nonsense for one week. It takes a toll on ones own psyche, firing off reactions to speeches in rapid succession, and I really don't know if these things are read by anyone anyway.

I'll post next after I've watched enough of Kerry to know what's going on. He's going to sell his energy policy and talk about how he's ready to lead the country. He cannot make a good case for a change, though, without stacking the canards thick.

Madness, I tell you! (I feel better now.)

2 comments

2 Comments:

Mr. Kilmer: In your post, you seem to indicate that you don't know whether your opinions are read by anyone -- whether they are worth the effort. Please don't think that your opinions don't matter. I go to only several opinion sites that I think are worth my time and yours is one of the best. I can understand that it must be difficult to listen to one rimless-zero after another -- I sure could not do it -- but I appreciate your views and have found that they are right on the mark. Please keep up the good work. Regards, Reney

By Blogger Reney, at July 29, 2004 at 9:59 PM  

Thank you for the kind words, Reney. This is the first political convention I've blogged, of course, and it was actually fun in that sense. (I think I admitted this in an earlier post.)

I was sitting here alone with C-SPAN doing speech after speech, often finishing one as I was posting the other. It gets kind of intense, and the cluelessness of these people was frightening.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me.

By Blogger Mark Kilmer, at July 29, 2004 at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?